Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes

I've never been a huge fan of these Swedish progressive metal masters, Opeth. Its probably because they down tune too much, it makes everything sound really bassy and dark, even the way the album was mixed, its really dark too, the cymbals are way in the background, at first I was like shit is my hearing gone? I can barely hear the highs.

By the way this is the first Opeth album I bought. I've had heard some of their stuff from friends and via the web. It didn't make me go wow but they definitely did not make me go yucks. In particular I like The Night and the Silent Water, Windowpane and Blackwater Park. Did I mention that this is a live album? But it does not feel like an live album. You dun hear the audience a lot.

This seems to be the current trend at the moment. You dun really hear the fans as much now, only at the intro, outro and when the band ain't playing. It feels too clean :(

Overall I would say the mix and feel of this live album fits Opeth. I'm very interested to get the 5.1 mix of Ghost Reveries I've never heard a 5.1 mix of a progressive death metal band, should be interesting to check them out.

6/10 for this album

No comments: