Saturday, November 17, 2007

US or Singaporean style education?

School Experiment that Failed

Read this article in one of the local papers today.

I for one is always very concerned about the education system in Singapore. I've been enrolled in a local Singaporean school from Primary 1 to Primary 6 (Grade 1 to Grade 6 for the peeps from US) and when my family moved to work in Malaysia I got enrolled in International School of Kuala Lumpur (ISKL)

I kinda never really enjoyed my time in the local school...you dun get to choose what classes you wana take, huge class typical ratio would be 1 (teacher):40 (students)

I personally feels that Singaporean education system seems to be cater to a specific style or direction. You will have a VERY strong foundation in Maths and Science and your Arts (music, drama, etc etc) would be left behind.

However in a international school setting, I get to choose the path I want to take, Music...Drama, Science...Foreign Language.

I also believes that parents play a very important role too. If you are brought up in the traditional local education system, you would probably believe that arts is like an extra thing, you dun need to pursue it to survive in this world, go be a doctor or lawyer or at least be a engineer. Thats what you should be in Singapore.

Look at the music/arts scene in Singapore now....fuck it is a failure. Why? because we have been taught in school that music is a dream...look at the TV right now...you have a drama series shown on prime time and the plot is about a composer who can't survive in the music industry and ends up beating his wife...gambling...drinking...and all that jazz...

Why not have a show like Coyote Ugly? Small town songwriter pursuing her dream of becoming a singer. Guess what? When I was in ISKL I have friends 15 or 16 years old gigging constantly at the local nightclubs in KL, they even released an album.

But at least the scene is getting better due to shows like American Idol and the different spin offs of it in Singapore. But are we really promoting music in Singapore or is it juz another way to rip people off their hard earn money?

You decide....

No comments: